I love this Cheese and Corn Chowder! The Hardworking Husband also loves this chowder. The first time I made it, he said I really like this chowder because it doesn’t have potatoes in it. I was so upset. We had further discussion about him not liking potato soup. Potato soup is my signature soup! (Which I realize now that I have yet to post that recipe. I will be sure to put it on my list of things to post.) Really, how did I marry a man who doesn’t love my signature soup? I could deal with him liking my football team’s rival team (well sorta). But my soup! At least Lucy loves my soup.
This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman, whom I love. I think she should be my best friend. I would love to live on a ranch with a house and lodge. 2 kitchens! However, I would need a housekeeper to clean up after my cooking adventures.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 whole bell peppers, red, yellow, and orange, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- In your dutch oven or large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add onions & bell peppers and sauté until onions are translucent and peppers are tender. In a separate pan, cook bacon pieces. Add corn to dutch oven and cook for another minute. Add bacon to the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Add stock and stir. Continue to cook on medium high heat to thicken the mixture. Once thickened, reduce heat to low, add half & half and simmer for another 15 minutes. Add cheese and green onions, stir to combine. Once cheese has melted, Enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin!