If you love Mexican food and you love soup, you will love this Mexican soup called Crockpot Chicken Posole!
One of the greatest time savers I’ve found as the mama of small kids is freezer meals. You can put together several meals at once and save yourself so much time, plus it saves money as well!
Plus, I love using my crock pot- it makes cooking so easy, and during the summer I don’t have to heat the whole house up, but I still get to eat a hot meal every now and then. If you’re in the market for a crock pot, prices have really come down in the past couple of years. You can get a great crock pot for pretty darn cheap, like this great one from Amazon:
Chicken posole is so much fun to “dress up” after making it- sprinkle it with some cheese, serve it with corn chips or tortillas, add a little sliced radish or lime juice for a bit of extra pizazz- you can add whatever sounds good to you!
And the best thing about this recipe is that you dump the ingredients in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer, and then when you want to serve it for dinner, just pull the bag out of the freezer, run it under water for a minute to loosen the bag, and dump it in your crockpot!
These are my favorite meals- the ones that leave the house smelling yummy, without hardly any work! Yay!
- 1 lb. Chicken Breasts (if you have a larger family, just add more chicken)
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican stewed Tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (you can find this in small cans, or in with the salsa-- use whatever heat you prefer- I use mild)
- 1 can (15 oz) hominy (this will not go in the freezer)
- In a freezer bag combine ingredients and freeze.
- To prepare: Dump the frozen contents in your crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Approximately 1 hour before you plan to serve it, shred the chicken into smaller pieces by using 2 forks, and add 1 can (15 oz) of Hominy. Serve with whatever toppings sound good to you.
- Dress up your posole when it's finished: sprinkle it with some cheese, serve it with corn chips or tortillas, add a little sliced radish or lime juice for a bit of extra pizazz- you can add whatever sounds good to you!
Or check out the rest of our Chicken Freezer Meals.
Don’t forget to pin!