Gingerbread Men Sandwiches with Chai Buttercream is a twist on the classic gingerbread men cookies. These sandwiches are filled with a delicious chai buttercream. These flavor pair so well together.
I am loving sandwich cookies lately. I know I’m late to this party. Like with many things in our lives, I wish I had jumped on this a long time ago. These Gingerbread Men Sandwiches with Chai Buttercream are so delicious. I made them yesterday and I have thought about them all day today. The molasses in the cookies pairs so well with the chai buttercream. I can’t stop eating them.
We are beginning to gear up for the holidays. I try not to get ahead of myself, but I will be hosting a Christmas party and I want to try out some recipes before then. These cookies will definitely be served. I have some more posts coming for this Christmas party. I hope it helps you get ready.
- 10 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 orange spice black tea bag
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream butter for 1 minute in stand mixer or with handheld mixer. Add brown sugar and molasses. Mix on medium high speed. Add butter and vanilla. Mix at high speed for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and spices.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- After chilling, remove one wrapped dough from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350.
- Flour the surface that you will be rolling out the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. For the sandwiches, you want the cookies thinner than if you not making sandwiches.
- Cut out gingerbread mean with a medium sized cookie cutter. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. You don't want the cookies to be to crispy.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before assembling sandwiches.
- Heat half & half in a microwave safe mug. It will boil, so use a deep mug.
- Place tea bag in half & half to steep.
- In a large bowl, mix together powdered sugar and spices.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter.
- Slowly add powdered sugar mixture to butter. Scrape sides as needed.
- Remove tea back from half & half. Add half & half to butter & powdered sugar mixture.
- If buttercream is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Spread buttercream on bottom side of gingerbread man. You want it to be thick. Completely cover cookie. Place second gingerbread man on butter cream. Squish it together. You can enjoy them right away or chill for an hour or more.
You can substitute a black tea bag instead of the orange spice tea bag, if needed.
Don’t forget to pin!