The Thanksgiving Dishes series continues today. Be sure to check out all the recipes to fill your Thanksgiving Table.
It wasn’t until a couple years ago that I discovered my love of sweet potatoes. I’m not sure why I hadn’t eaten them much before that. It isn’t like I had anything against them or disliked them, but they just weren’t something I ate much of. However, once I did discover them, I found that one of the most amazing dishes to make with sweet potatoes is this recipe for the sweetest sweet potatoes. Think sweet potatoes with a streusel topping. This could nearly classify as a dessert instead of a side dish (but don’t worry, it doesn’t classify as a dessert, so feel free to eat that piece of pie!).
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, cooked (I used 4 large sweet potatoes and baked them)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9 pan.
- In a stand mixer (or using a mixer in a large mixing bowl), beat the sweet potatoes until they are smooth (it's okay if they have a few lumps).
- Add butter, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs, and mix until well blended.
- Spread in greased pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and brown sugar. Cut cold butter into the mixture, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle topping over sweet potatoes.
- Bake approximately 35 minutes until golden brown.
Am I the only one who isn’t sure exactly what the difference is between yams and sweet potatoes? I’m sure that having yam casserole with your Thanksgiving turkey wouldn’t sound as appealing as sweet potato casserole, so that may be part of it. I looked for answers, and from what I can tell, I made these with sweet potatoes. But darn it if the label at the grocery store didn’t say yams. Either way, this is an amazing dish, and will have everyone coming back for more of the sweetest sweet potatoes.
Are sweet potatoes part of the Thanksgiving meal at your house?
Follow us on Pinterest at Coffee With Us 3
Check out our Link Parties.
Featured at Weekend Potluck.