Almond Chicken is an Asian dish that has a great mix of textures and flavors. Such a wonderful real food meal that is easy to cook.
Because I was making pot stickers for dinner, we needed something to go with it. I looked high and low for a recipe for almond chicken like I’ve had in a Chinese restaurant. I just couldn’t find one. Though this recipe was very different than what I’ve had in restaurants, it was actually really, really good!
A friend of mine bought me dishes that look like Chinese takeout boxes. I absolutely love them. They are the perfect size bowl for a filling serving. I wish I could give you a link to buy them yourself, but I cannot find them online. And I actually don’t know where he found them.
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp dry sherry
- 2 1/3 cups chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup celery
- 1/2 lb snow peas
- 1 - 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 - 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 green onions
- sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, ground ginger, salt, sugar, and dry sherry together. Cut chicken into inch size chunks. Put chicken in bowl and mix to coat. Set aside.
- In your wok or large skillet, add 1 Tbsp oil with a splash of sesame oil. Heat to medium high heat. Rough chop celery and add to wok or skillet,
- Rough chop bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and green onions. Add to wok after celery has cooks for a minute or two.
- Trim ends of snow peas and cut in half. They are a little too long to leave whole like I did. Add to pan after the mixture has cooked another minute or two.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil with another splash of sesame oil to pan. Once heated add chicken and stir fry until done.
- Add back the vegetables and heat until vegetable are warm again.
- Serve over rice or fried rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 368 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 522mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 32g
Looking for more delicious and easy dinners?
Don’t forget to pin!