Delicious Apple Dessert Cake made from a decades-old recipe.
My mom has been making this Old Fashioned Apple Dessert Cake for as long as I can remember. Each year on our birthdays, my mom would let us pick the kind of cake she would make for us, and this was always the one my sister picked. It’s that delicious.
This is a really easy recipe, and it’s quick to make. The sauce may seem like an excess of fat, but it really makes the cake stand out. Without the sauce, the cake is still good, but with the sauce the cake is amazing!
You can use any kind of apples. I used Gala apples, which caused my cake to be a bit darker in color. If you want a lighter colored cake, either peel the apples first, or use a green apple.
- 1/2 C butter softened (1 stick)
- 2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 C grated apple (about 3 medium apples)
- 1 C chopped nuts
- 1/2 C butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 C milk or half & half
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or rum flavoring
- Spray a 9 x 13” pan. Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Mix all cake ingredients together. It’s a stiff batter.
- Spread into pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil while stirring.
- Serve warm over cake.
Do you have a favorite cake, or a cake you always had for your birthday?
Looking for more apple recipes check out these fabulous Baked Apple Goods?
Don’t forget to pin!