This post is part of our September Top 5. Check out the rest of the best here.
Now to use the pie crust I made yesterday. Our new house came with two apple trees. I foresee many more apple recipes and me getting really creative with apples being that the Hardworking Husband doesn’t like apples. For now I’m going with something mom made when I was a kid – Apple Empanadas.
- 5 large apples, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter
- Pie Crust
- Oil for frying
- In a large skillet combine all filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until apples are soft
- In a different skillet, heat about an inch of oil to 350. You know the oil is ready when you put the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil and it bubbles.
- Roll pie crust out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut 4" circles out of crust.
- Place about 1 Tbsp of filling in crust. Fold over. Using a fork seal the edges.
- Place empanada in oil. Cook until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oil, place on paper towel to blot.
- Enjoy warm. Wonderful served with ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.