Black Bean Pesto is a flavorful vegetarian meal.
Black Bean Pesto might sound and look really weird, or even gross to some of you. This was a meal I was served by a vegetarian that I used to babysit for. It looked gross, but my parents taught us to ALWAYS eat whatever we are served. And it turns out, it was really good. This is actually one of my favorite meals now.
I didn’t do a lot of babysitting, but there was one family I became a regular for. Their son was sweet, they paid well, and they insisted that I eat dinner with them before they left on a date.
It was through this babysitting gig that I got to try a lot of vegetarian meals I would otherwise never have considered, such as this black bean pesto.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 Cups Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Cup Peas, fresh or frozen
- 3-4 Tbsp Pesto
- salt and pepper to taste
- Linguini, cooked according to the package
- Sliced green or red peppers, optional
- Mozzarella Cheese, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place beans and broth in food processor (or blender) and puree until smooth. Poor into skillet with onions and garlic.
- Heat over medium-low, adding peas, pesto, salt and pepper, and cook 7 minutes, stirring often until mixture thickens slightly.
- Serve over noodles, and garnish with peppers and mozzarella cheese.