Blueberry Bagels are a classic bagel. Making your own bagels is a little labor intensive but totally worth it!
The first time making bagels can be a little intimidating. But if you can make bread, you can make bagels. They just have one extra step. Boiling them between the first and second rise.
What do you put on Blueberry Bagels?
Plain or blueberry cream cheese, peanut butter, honey or butter are all great things to spread on a blueberry bagel.
Do Blueberry Bagels have real blueberries in them?
Yes, blueberry bagels have real blueberries in them. You can use dried, fresh, or frozen. I prefer fresh because they give the blueberries a hint of purple. Dried blueberries won’t give them any color and frozen bleed too much and put too much liquid into the recipe.
- 1 cup warm water, 100 - 110 degrees
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup flour
- Mix water, sugar and yeast together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Wash blueberries, pull stems off and toss with 1/4 cup flour. Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour yeast mixture in well.
- Using paddle attachment mix until just combined. Switch to dough hook and add blueberries to mixture. Knead dough using dough hook. Add flour as needed. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and put in a warm draft free place. Allow to rise for 60 - 90 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and divide into 8 balls. Poke your finger through the middle of the ball and stretch it out to look like a bagel with a large hole (it will get smaller). Repeat on all 8 balls. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- After bagels have rested, place 2 or 3 bagels in the water. They will get bigger so don't crowd them. 3 was too many for my pot. Boil for 2-3 minutes and flip and boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from water and place on a sheet pan. Repeat with all bagels.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Bagels should be golden brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 439mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Don’t forget to pin!