Delicious, light and fluffy bran muffins. Bran muffins are hearty and filling, and a perfect idea for breakfast on the go! Plus they’re great for freezing!
My dad has always loved bran muffins. And not too long ago, he said something about how he wished he could find bran muffins here that were as light and fluffy as the bran muffins he remembers eating as a kid. So I took this as a challenge to make a less dense bran muffin that was still tasty.
The secret to making these bran muffins more fluffy is in soaking the bran. Instead of mixing the dry bran in with all the other ingredients, you mix the bran with milk and applesauce, and let it sit. You will see that after several minutes, the mixture will have increased in size quite a bit.
I went for a pretty healthy recipe here. Oils/ butters have been substituted with apple sauce, there is no white sugar, and they are made with bran. You can add chocolate chips if you’d like to– I added them to half the muffins, and I liked the addition.
These turned out delicious. They aren’t very sweet, so if you’re looking for sweet muffins, you’ll want to increase the sugar, or eat them with honey or jam.
- 3 C Bran
- 2 C Milk
- 3/4 C Apple Sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 C Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 1 C Chocolate Chips,, optional
- In a large bowl, stir together bran, milk, and applesauce. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 24 muffins cups, or line muffin cups and spray liners (make sure you spray them, of the muffins will stick).
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Divide batter among 24 muffins.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin in the middle comes out clean.
Looking for more muffin recipes?
Don’t forget to pin!