Buttermilk Chess Pie is a wonderfully creamy custard pie. It’s very much a Southern thing, but even us Northerners enjoy it.
Our Thanksgiving Dishes Series continues today. If you’ve missed any be sure to check them out.
When I lived at the ranch, we had a pie called buttermilk pie. It was one of my favorites. I failed to get that recipe before I left. It was one that didn’t get put in the ranch cookbook. So I searched high and low for a recipe like it and found nothing.
Several years later I picked up a cookbook that went along with a book series I had read. Flipping through the cookbook, I found Buttermilk Chess Pie. It is the same pie! The book series I was reading was the Midford series with Father Tim and the cookbook is Midford Cookbook & Kitchen Reader all by Jan Karon. I highly recommend both the series and the cookbook.
I used farm fresh eggs. They were on the small side. I had just read an article about egg size mattering. This recipe is one that it really matters. It calls for large eggs. Large eggs are approximately 57 grams or 3 1/4 Tbsp.
Since my eggs were small, I weighed them to make sure I was getting about 228 grams of egg. It took 6 eggs. If you buy farm fresh eggs, be sure you are using the right amount of eggs for this recipe. Also this pie is far more yellow than when I make it with store bought eggs. Don’t be surprised if yours isn’t so bright yellow.
- 1 pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pie crust in 9" pie plate. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In mixer, combine flour and sugar. Add eggs, mix well. Add butter and buttermilk. Combine well. Add lemon juice, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Pull oven rack out as far as it will go. Place baking sheet with pie plate on rack. Pour filling into pie crust. Carefully push rack back into oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400. Reduced heat to 350 and bake another 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown on top.
- Place on a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g
Don’t forget to pin!