Chai Buttercream is exactly what you expect but better. It has the decadent flavor of chai lattes and the yummy creaminess of buttercream.
Before we get to making the Chai Buttercream, I wanted to give you a few basics on buttercream.
Did you know there are 4 types of buttercream?
American: butter, powdered sugar, milk & vanilla extract
Italian: butter, granulated sugar, sugar syrup, & egg whites
French: butter, sugar syrup & egg yolks
Swiss: butter, granulated sugar, light corn syrup & egg whites
This buttercream is American style. It’s the only kind of butter cream that I’ve had or made. It is a little different that the basic ingredients, though. It has spices mixed in with the powdered sugar and a tea bag is steeped in the milk. Both these things give it amazing flavor.
Does Buttercream need to be refrigerated?
If you make it ahead of time, it does need to be refrigerated. You will need to allow it to come to room temp before using it.
You will also need to refrigerate the cupcakes, cookies, cake or whatever you used it to frost if you will not be eating it within 24 hours.
Is buttercream sweet?
American buttercream is very sweet. It has butter that has been beaten until it is creamy and then a lot of powdered sugar is added. The powdered sugar makes it very sweet.
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 orange spice black tea bag
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat half & half in a microwave safe mug for 30 seconds - 1 minutes. It will boil, so use a deep mug and watch it closely.
- Place tea bag in half & half to steep.
- In a large bowl, mix together powdered sugar and spices.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter.
- Slowly add powdered sugar mixture to butter. Scrape sides as needed.
- Remove tea bag from half & half. Add half & half to butter & powdered sugar mixture. Add vanilla, Stir to combine.
- If buttercream is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!