I love this Cheese and Corn Chowder! The Hardworking Husband also loves this chowder. The first time I made it, he said I really like this chowder because it doesn’t have potatoes in it. I was so upset. We had further discussion about him not liking potato soup. Potato soup is my signature soup! (Which I realize now that I have yet to post that recipe. I will be sure to put it on my list of things to post.) Really, how did I marry a man who doesn’t love my signature soup? I could deal with him liking my football team’s rival team (well sorta). But my soup! At least Lucy loves my soup.
This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman, whom I love. I think she should be my best friend. I would love to live on a ranch with a house and lodge. 2 kitchens! However, I would need a housekeeper to clean up after my cooking adventures.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 whole bell peppers, red, yellow, and orange, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- In your dutch oven or large pot, melt butter on medium high heat.
- Add onions & bell peppers and sauté until onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
- In a separate pan, cook bacon pieces.
- Add corn to dutch oven and cook for another minute.
- Add bacon to the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Add stock and stir. Continue to cook on medium high heat to thicken the mixture.
- Once thickened, reduce heat to low, add half & half and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and green onions, stir to combine. Once cheese has melted,
Don’t forget to pin!