Flavorful, cheeseburger soup is delicious!
I’ve been seeing delicious recipes for Cheeseburger Soup all over Pinterest and different link parties, lately. But honestly, until about a month ago I had never heard of Cheeseburger Soup. However, the pictures I was seeing were compelling, so I decided I should try to make some and see what all the hype was about! Plus the weather continuing to be dreary is making me feel like eating soup!
I basically used this cheeseburger soup recipe from The Recipe Critic, only I didn’t have any bacon at the house, so ours was bacon-less (shameful, I know!). It turned out really delicious and cheesy!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz each)
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Brown ground beef. Drain and set aside.
- Saute vegetables and dried basil in 1 Tbsp. butter, until tender.
- Add broth, beef, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- While potatoes are cooking, in a separate pot make a roux by melting 3 Tbsp. butter, and adding the flour. Cook and stir the roux for 3-5 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add roux to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and add cheese, milk, half & half, and salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted, then remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, and serve.
Do you like soup? If so, what’s your favorite?
Check out our Link Parties.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck.