Chicken BLT Taco Salad is great for summer time when you want food that isn’t so heavy and it doesn’t require using your oven.
In the summer, we light to eat lighter. The heavy food just doesn’t sit well when we are hot. In fact it doesn’t even look appetizing. Back when I lived in Texas, I often would eat half a watermelon for dinner. That doesn’t really fly when you are married. Husband usually want a real dinner.
This Chicken BLT Taco Salad is perfect for feeding hungry husbands when it’s just too hot to eat. Since we’ve been having a heat wave, we’ve eaten this several times lately. Another great thing about this salad, you don’t have to use the oven. Even with central A/C, heating the oven seems to make our house hot. I have banned the Hardworking Husband from using it until the temps come back down in the 80’s.
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup french dressing
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
- 6 cups romaine
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa and french dressing. Set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces, cook in a skillet until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook chicken in the same pan with the remaining bacon grease. Season with your favorite season salt. Once fully cooked, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop romaine and place in a large bowl with lettuce. Dice bell pepper and tomatoes and set aside in separate bowls. Shred cheese and set aside.
- Once chicken is cooled, layer over the lettuce. Sprinkle bacon over the chicken. Then layer bell peppers and tomatoes. Pour dressing over the salad. And sprinkle cheese on top.
- Serve with avocados, tortilla chips and sour cream.
I'm usually in a hurry for the chicken to cool. So I usually pop it in the freezer instead of refrigerator until cooled.
Don’t forget to pin!