This Chicken Chimichangas recipe is healthier than a deep fried chimichanga, but still maintains the great flavor of your favorite Mexican dish.
I’m the elderly one in this group. And with age comes weight gain. So I have been trying to make our favorites a little healthier. One of our favorites lately has been chicken chimichangas. This version is under 500 calories. Topped with guacamole, you get your healthy fats to help maintain that great looking body.
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 lb Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 6 oz can sliced black olives
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large avocado, peeled
- 2 Tbsp tomato, small diced
- 1 Tbsp onion, small diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a medium pan, mix chicken broth, rice, enchilada sauce, & onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer about 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Stir in chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil. Heat refried beans in a small pan.
- Onto each tortilla spoon some refried beans, chicken & rice mixture, shredded cheese, and olives. Roll tortilla into a burrito.
- Place each burrito into skillet once the oil is hot. Pan fry each burrito until brown on top and bottom.
- Remove from pan. Garnish the top of each chimichanga with lettuce, guacamole, & cheddar cheese. Serve.
- Place avocado in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in remaining ingredients
Don’t forget to pin!