Chicken Noodle Soup is such a traditional comfort food especially when you are sick. This recipe is an old one but so good with carrots, onions, celery and delicious egg noodles.
While Idaho is having a very mild winter, a good part of the nation is being slammed by winter. As I type, this many cities are hunkered down while snow and sleet come down. This Chicken Noodle Soup would be a great thing to have cooking on the stove and you try to stay warm. It warms me to just think about how comforting it is.
This recipe was given to my by a friend. It was her mother’s. Making it a vintage. And will be a great addition to my vintage recipe series.
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 qts water
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 4 carrots or 20 baby carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery*, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic*, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp chicken base
- 6 oz egg noodles
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Remove giblets from chicken.
- In a dutch oven or large pot, add water and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about a half hour.
- Skim foam as needed.
- Once foam has subsided (about a half hour), add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and thyme. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken carefully. Add chicken base to pot.
- Remove meat from chicken. Shred and place back in pot.
- Add noodles and cook according to noodle package.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven with Self Basting Lid . (Island Spice Red)
- Wsthof WU4183 4188-7 Wusthof Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife 7, Black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The noodles I like to use are long thick noodles. They are from Country Pasta and are Homemade Style Egg Noodles.
Don’t forget to pin!