Chicken Pot Pie is a hearty comfort food. It’s as good as mama’s. It’s a great mix of the food groups.
There is nothing better than comfort food. (Well there is, but you know what I mean) It feels like a big hug that takes you back to memories of your childhood. I remember chicken pot pie being such a treat. The warm flaky crust filled with a hot chicken stew type filling. I now realize that when we had chicken pot pie, it was because mom had worked hard all day and didn’t feel like cooking. I understand those days. She would pop a sheet pan with several pot pies on it in the oven. (This was back before you could cook pot pie in the microwave.) After they were cooked, she’d pull them out flip them upside down on a plate and cut them open so they would cool off. Man, were those good!
Because I try to serve clean (no preservatives and no artificial sweeteners) in our house, frozen pot pies from the grocery store aren’t an option. So I make our own. I usually make a big one in a deep dish pie plate. But sometimes I put them in large ramekins and we have individual pot pies. I usually have some filling left over. I just stick that in the fridge and then eat it later as chicken pot pie soup by adding a little chicken stock to thin it out a little.
- 2 ready made pie crust
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 russet potatoes medium
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 oz Can yellow corn 15, drained
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Peel and dice potatoes and slice carrots. Boil until tender.
- In a glass baking dish, place chicken breasts and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave for about 7 minutes or until chicken is done.
- In the meantime, in a large saucepan, saute onions in butter. Once onions are tender, add flour. Mix until it becomes a paste. Add broth and milk and whisk until there are no lumps. Add peas and corn.
- When chicken is done, shred and add to the pot pie filling mixture. When potatoes and carrots are done drain and add them also. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- In a deep dish pie plate, place one pie crust. Prick with a fork and bake at 450 until is it golden brown. After crust is done, pour filling into the crust. Top with the second pie crust and bake until it is golden brown. Serve while it is hot.
Make sure you check out my pie crust recipe and Lucy's chicken stock recipe. Links below.
Don’t forget to pin!