Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty chicken soup with a Mexican flare that is easy enough for a beginner to cook.
Dear Friend has been sick too often this year. Stress of having a baby to raise, work and school has had it’s toll on her. One of my favorite things to take to her when she is sick is Chicken Tortilla Soup. Part of the reason is that she raves about it. Another reason is that it is super easy to make. The hardest part is cooking the chicken and sautéing the onions.
This is also another chicken recipe The Hardworking Husband will tolerate. It has been unseasonably warm here this year, so I haven’t made much soup this month. But sickness calls for soup. For those of you in the Northeast, this will be perfect for those cold snowy winter days you’ve been having.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 -14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked & shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Tortilla Chips
- In a dutch oven or large pot, add olive oil and onions. Saute until transparent.
- Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add stock, tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is hot.
- To serve, add soup to bowl, top with tortilla chips, cheese and avocado.
This has 7 net carbs if you leave the tortilla chips out.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 887mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 24g
Looking for more amazing soup recipes?
Don’t forget to pin!