A recipe from my mom’s 1950’s childhood, this old fashioned Chocolate Chip Pie is light and fluffy! Best of all, it’s so easy and delicious!
For my mom’s birthday this year, she asked for Chocolate Chip Pie. Apparently this is a recipe that my grandma used to make when my mom was little and they lived on a farm. As best as I can figure, this pie may have originated in the early 1950s.
When my mom said she wanted Chocolate Chip Pie, I immediately thought of something similar to a pecan pie, but with chocolate chips in it instead… I have no idea why I thought that, but it’s a good thing I got the recipe! This Chocolate Chip Pie is nothing like that!
Instead, Chocolate Chip Pie is light, fluffy and sweet from the marshmallows with a graham cracker crust, and a sprinkling of grated chocolate. It’s really quite tasty, and I loved that it was very easy!
The funny part is that after getting the recipe, I started scouring the internet trying to find the same recipe, but maybe this was more regional or something. The only mention I found of the same pie is from a newspaper clipping in Missouri in 1951. But since my family isn’t from Missouri, I have no idea what got my grandma to start making this pie!
No matter where it came from, Chocolate Chip Pie is delicious!
Graham Cracker Crust
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 C crushed graham crackers
- 3 Tbsp sugar
For the Filling
- 1/2 C milk
- 30 marshmallows,, about half a bag
- 1 C whipping cream
- 1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate,, grated
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Melt butter, and stir in crushed graham crackers and sugar. Press into a pie pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
For the Filling
- While crust is baking, begin preparing pie.
- Over medium-low heat, melt marshmallows in milk, stirring often.
- Once marshmallows are melted, set aside to cool.
- Whip whipping cream.
- Fold whipping cream into marshmallow mixture.
- Stir in grated chocolate.
- Pour into graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate until set.
Don't want to turn on the oven? Use a pre-made graham cracker crust to make this a no-bake recipe!
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our Link Parties.