A good old-fashioned dessert recipe from the 50’s.
For my mom’s birthday this year, she asked for Chocolate Chip Pie. Apparently this is a recipe that my grandma used to make when my mom was little and they lived on a farm. As best as I can figure, this pie may have originated in the early 1950s.
When my mom said she wanted Chocolate Chip Pie, I immediately thought of something similar to a pecan pie, but with chocolate chips in it instead… I have no idea why I thought that, but it’s a good thing I got the recipe! This Chocolate Chip Pie is nothing like that!
Instead, Chocolate Chip Pie is light, fluffy and sweet from the marshmallows with a graham cracker crust, and a sprinkling of grated chocolate. It’s really quite tasty, and I loved that it was very easy!
The funny part is that after getting the recipe, I started scouring the internet trying to find the same recipe, but maybe this was more regional or something. The only mention I found of the same pie is from a newspaper clipping in Missouri in 1951. But since my family isn’t from Missouri, I have no idea what got my grandma to start making this pie!
No matter where it came from, Chocolate Chip Pie is delicious!
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 C crushed graham crackers
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 C milk
- 30 marshmallows, about half a bag
- 1 C whipping cream
- 1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate, grated
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Melt butter, and stir in crushed graham crackers and sugar. Press into a pie pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- While crust is baking, begin preparing pie.
- Over medium-low heat, melt marshmallows in milk, stirring often.
- Once marshmallows are melted, set aside to cool.
- Whip whipping cream.
- Fold whipping cream into marshmallow mixture.
- Stir in grated chocolate.
- Pour into graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate until set.
Don't want to turn on the oven? Use a pre-made graham cracker crust to make this a no-bake recipe!
Have you ever had Chocolate Chip Pie? If so, I’d love to hear where and when!
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our Link Parties.