Chocolate Coconut Cream Poke Cake is unexpectedly moist and absolutely scrumptious. The coconut paired with the chocolate gives it a slight almond flavor.
When I was first introduced to poke cake, it was a yellow cake. I wondered if I could do it with a chocolate cake. This was many years ago before poke cakes were the in thing. So I attempted it and loved it. And it’s super easy!
That first poke cake I was introduced to is the Pina Colada Poke Cake. It is also delicious but different. It’s flavor combination is very different.
Let’s talk about coconut. Many people don’t like coconut. But when you get down to it, they don’t like the texture of coconut. If the flavor could be separated from texture, they may actually like it. Coconut has a similar flavor to almond.
Because this recipe uses cream of coconut, you won’t have the texture of coconut. It give people a chance to experience coconut flavor. And often times if people aren’t told that it has coconut in it, they won’t even know. They will think it has almond flavoring.
What do you use to make the holes in the cake?
I use a straw. Some people like to use the big fat straws. But I just use a straw that I have on hand. You can also use the handle end of a wooden spoon.
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- 1 - 15 oz can of cream of coconut
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, soda & salt with a whisk. Set aside. In Kitchenaid mixer with whisk attachment or in a bowl with hand mixer, beat shortening on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar & vanilla. Mix until well combined. Add eggs. Mix until well combined. Slowly add dry ingredients and water, alternating until well mixed.
- Pour into bundt pan. Bang the pan on the counter a couple times to remove air bubbles. Bake until done. 35- 55 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven. Using a straw poke a bunch of holes all over the cake while still hot. Pour 1 can cream of coconut over the top of the cake.
- Cool until completely cool. Place plate over the top of the pan and flip. Enjoy!
Cream of coconut can be found with the mixed drinks ingredients. It should be less expensive in your local grocery store than on Amazon.
Also occasionally the cream of coconut will have a thick layer at the top of the can. I just pour all of it into the mixing bowl of my immersion blender and blend away before pouring it over the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 383mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 3gSugar: 49gProtein: 9g
Don’t forget to pin!