This Chocolate Coffee Depression Cake is moist and delicious, made from scratch, and uses no eggs, milk, or butter.
A long time ago, a friend told me she had made a Depression Cake. I was interested by it, so I looked into how to make one and loved that it was an easy cake made from scratch. However, I never got around to trying it until now.
A Depression Cake is a cake made with no eggs, no milk, and no butter. It doesn’t require a bowl, as all the ingredients are mixed in the pan you’ll bake it in.
(Sorry about the shadows and the flour on the pan- I let the kids help me make the cake, and it got a little messy!)
I wanted to make a Chocolate Coffee Depression Cake, so I altered the original recipe I found by changing out the water for coffee. If you don’t like coffee, just use water in its place.
Since making this recipe, chocolate coffee depression cake has become one of my favorite cakes! It is probably the most moist cake I have ever eaten.
I have a friend who doesn’t like coffee, so she didn’t want to try it, but when I convinced her that it doesn’t really taste like coffee, she finally relented. We both agreed that the coffee simply deepens the chocolate flavor and makes it amazing!
If you’re looking for an amazing cake recipe that’s allergy-friendly, this is the recipe for you!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup room-temperature coffee
- Chocolate Frosting, Use your favorite recipe
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease an 8x8 pan (or double ingredients for a 13x9 pan).
- Measure dry ingredients into the pan and stir together.
- Make one large depression and 2 small depressions in the dry ingredients.
- Into the large depression, measure the oil.
- Measure vinegar into one small depression and vanilla into the other.
- Pour coffee over everything and stir until no lumps remain.
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- You can cool and then frost, or for a smoother look put the frosting on while it's hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for more delicious cakes?
Don’t forget to pin!