Chocolate Nut Torte is a delicious rich pie that is a little twist on pecan pie. It’s a great pie for a special occasion.
Last week I shared the recipe for Carrot Craisin Muffins. It was a recipe I had gotten at the guest ranch that I worked at one year. Another recipe that we all loved from the ranch was a Chocolate Nut Torte. It’s a twist on pecan pie. A good, delicious twist.
The ranch was a magical place. I loved living there. I loved living at high elevation and far away from town. Living at high elevation allows for more calorie consumption.
Your body works harder to get oxygen to your entire body because there is less oxygen in the air. Your body burns calories just breathing. So we ate more – more delicious food like Chocolate Nut Torte.
Now that I don’t live over 8,000 ft, Chocolate Nut Torte is a once in a while recipe. It’s a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
The name of this recipe is torte. The ranch called it a torte. However, it’s not truly a torte. A torte is multi-layered cake that has whipped cream, buttercream, jam, fruit or mousse.
This has none of these. This is technically a pie or a tart. I used a tart pan mainly because I love the way it looks.
- 1 pastry crust, unbaked
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 T shortening
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line 9" pie plate with pastry crust and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with whisk. Stir in corn syrup. Add brown sugar, butter, and vanilla stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pecans. Pour filling into pastry lined pie plate. Sprinkle ¼ cup chocolate chips over uncooked filling.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until set in the center.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Before serving, melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips and shortening.
- Cut torte into wedges and place on plate. Drizzle chocolate sauce in a zigzag over each piece of torte.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!