Chocolate & chocolate chips gives this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread a rich taste while the zucchini keeps it moist.
Normally I’m not very adventurous with my zucchini bread. I like classic zucchini bread just fine and don’t really care to add anything to it. But this last time I made it, I thought I would try something new. And I was very pleased with how this Chocolate Zucchini Bread turned out.
Of course, I figured you couldn’t go wrong with adding chocolate to something. And I’ve made the double chocolate zucchini muffins in the 30 Zucchini Recipes roundup and they turned out delicious.
I added both cocoa powder and chocolate chips to this zucchini bread which is why I call it double chocolate.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease two loaves pans.
- Beat eggs until light.
- Add oil, sugar, zucchini, vanilla, & cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, & salt & mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into two loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
A couple of helpful tips:
- Quick Breads can be hard to gauge when they are fully done. This one should probably cook for the entire hour before checking it and then you may need to stick the toothpick in several places to be sure it is entirely done. If you take it out before it is all the way done the loaf will sink in the middle. (And yes, I have had this experience myself! Too many times!) Or you can use a digital thermometer; the internal temperature should read 200 degrees.
- Zucchini is very easy to save to make bread later in the fall or winter. Peel your zucchini and shred, I use my food processor. Divide it into 2 cups portions and place in a freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze. I saved about 8-10 bags one year and made zucchini bread for all our friends at Christmastime. The zucchini that I used in this recipe was frozen. No not drain the zucchini before use.
Do you love zucchini bread too? Have you tried chocolate zucchini bread before?
Looking for more quick bread recipes?
Don’t forget to pin!