Warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg combined with the fruity peach flavor makes these cinnamon peach streusel cookies an amazing combination.
All my posts lately have seemed to have revolved around one of my good friends. She’s the one that nagged me to make her something sweet that led to my Blueberry Coffee Cake and she also helped me make these delicious cookies. I’m not sure if that make her my muse or just my motivation but either way I’ll take it.
Her and her children came over on Martin Luther King, Jr Day since the kids were off school AGAIN! We’ve had so many snows days that another day home alone with our kids just didn’t sound like very much fun so we got them all together.
I was craving cookies and was looking through this cookie cook book when she came over. I stumbled upon some streusel cookies and thought that sounded AMAZING! I’m a sucker for streusel on anything but had never thought to put it on a cookie. Since I didn’t have a bunch of the ingredients in the recipe I found, we made up our own recipe.
The base cookie dough isn’t super sweet but the cinnamon & nutmeg give it a nice warm flavor and it works well with the sweetness of the jam & streusel. I had several flavors of jam on hand but peach just sounded like it would be amazing to me. Feel free to swap out the peach jam for whatever kind you like best or have on hand?
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup peach jam/preserves
In an electric mixer, cream together butter & shortening until well blended. Add sugar, egg, & vanilla & mix until well blended.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out dough on a lighted floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch circles and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Indent middle of cookie.
Combine flour, brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture is fine crumbs.
- Spread a layer of peach jam on top of cookie dough in the indent and leaving a edge around the cookies. Sprinkle the cookies with streusel.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 until edge of cookies are set.
- Cool on pan for a couple minutes before transferring to cooling rack to finish cooling.
If dough is sticky or hard to work with, refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out the dough.
Do you love streusel? Have you ever tried it on a cookie?
Looking for more awesome cookies?
Don’t forget to pin!