Copycat Asphalt Pie is a mint ice cream cake with an Oreo crust, drizzled in caramel sauce. Better than Winger’s!
We don’t order dessert often when we go out. By the time we eat, we rarely have the appetite to eat a dessert, plus restaurant desserts are typically pretty high priced.
However, asphalt pie from Winger’s would be the exception. I would purposely not finish my dinner, just to save room for asphalt pie. The minty flavor is so delicious, and the yummy caramel sauce over the top just makes it perfect!
For my birthday this year, I decided I didn’t want a cake, I wanted asphalt pie.
Now, before you go feeling bad for me for having to make my own birthday cake, let me tell you that making asphalt pie was easy enough I could have let my 4 or 6 year old make it on their own.
Super easy. And definitely worth making it myself! Though my mom or sister would have made a regular cake for me in a heartbeat if I hadn’t been set on asphalt pie!
This recipe makes enough to fill 2 pie plates, or you can make one 10 inch spring form pan with it. I did both (we have a lot of family, so I wanted to make sure there was enough). My only caution is that if you make it in a springform pan, make sure to let it sit out for 5 minutes before you open the pan. Otherwise the frozen ice cream can cause your latch to break, as I’m sure you’re guessing happened to me.
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 48 ounce container Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream
- 8 ounce container Cool Whip, or 2 cups whipped cream
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping, optional
- Allow ice cream to soften, and Cool Whip to thaw. You can empty the entire container of ice cream into a large bowl to soften.
- Put Oreos into a gallon sized freezer bag, and smash up with a rolling pin or a glass.
- Press crushed Oreos on the bottom and sides of 2 pie plates, or the bottom only of a spring form pan.
- Once ice cream is soft, stir in Cool Whip. Mix well.
- Pour (or spoon) the mixture into the pans.
- Freeze overnight.
- Before serving, set out for 5-10 minutes to make cutting easier.
- Top with caramel topping if desired.
Don’t forget to pin!