Cornbread Stuffing is so much like the box stuffing but without all the yucky preservatives and chemicals. And it’s not too hard to make.
In my quest to eat no preservatives, I now must make my own stuffing. The Hardworking Husband loves the stuff from the box. But look at these ingredients.
I was finally able to see that there is celery, onion, parsley, chicken and chicken stock in it. But the ingredient list on the box is much longer than my list. I really don’t want to be eating all the rest. So I set off to figure out how to make homemade stuffing that tastes like the box.
For this recipe, you’ll need to make cornbread first. The best cornbread recipe I’ve found tastes so much like Marie Callender’s cornbread mix. I love that you can make every part of this Cornbread Stuffing recipe from scratch and you know exactly what is in your stuffing.
The leftovers of this cornbread stuffing is great to use in the Apple and Almond Stuffed Pork Chops. You can also you it in place of the box of stove top stuffing in Jamie’s Chicken Green Bean Stuffing Casserole.
- 1 tsp ground savory
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dried celery
- 4 tsp dried onion flakes
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cornbread cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread cornbread cubes on sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine all the seasonings.
- Mix together with a fork.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, mix together chicken stock, water & butter over medium heat.
- Allow butter to melt. Add seasoning mix.
- Turn heat up to high, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cornbread cubes and stir gently.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Cover, remove heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cornbread Stuffing is part of our Thanksgiving Dishes Series. Be sure to check out all the recipes to fill your Thanksgiving Table.
Don’t forget to pin!