Get the Cajun flavor in this easy recipe for Crock Pot Cajun Whole Chicken!!
I love making whole chickens in my crockpot. I’ve previously shared a recipe for a Lemon Garlic Whole Chicken but I like to change up the flavors I use often. I had made some Creole Seasoning for the gumbo I was making and thought it would be great on chicken. It was!! I love blackened Cajun chicken and fish and I loved that I could get those flavors in my crockpot!
When you cook a whole chicken in a crock pot, the meat literally falls off the bone afterwards. It’s so tender! (Which makes good pictures really hard to get!!) But it’s absolutely one of my favorite ways to cook chicken! And this Crock Pot Cajun Whole Chicken version is probably my favorite way I’ve cooked it so far!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning, **
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- Combine creole seasoning and olive oil and rub all over chicken. Lift skin over breast and rub seasoning on there as well, if desired. Put any remaining seasoning in the chicken cavity.
- Place onion in the cavity, placing any that doesn't fit in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cook on High for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of your chicken. Juices should run clear and meat thermometer should read 180 degrees.
A meat thermometer is the best way to tell if this chicken is done as it will be juicier if you do not overcook it and you don't risk under cooking it.
**To make your own creole seasoning, check out the link right after the recipe card.
Make your own creole seasoning for this recipe!
If you’ve been around the blog long or checked out our “about us” page, you know I didn’t grow up in the south. But I’ve learned to enjoy some Southern flavors and Cajun and Tex-Mex are two of my favorites! But I’m very new to cooking with Cajun flavors. But I’ve really enjoyed all I’ve made so far so I plan on continuing these cooking adventures!
Do you enjoy Cajun seasoning or other southern food? What’s your favorite?
Looking for more slow cooker recipes?
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our link parties.