Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Casserole is a 30 minute meal that takes the great flavors of cabbage rolls and turns it up a notch and makes it super easy to make.
A few years ago I tried making cabbage rolls. The Hardworking Husband loved them. I hated them. And I never made them again. Then the other night I was looking for a 30 minute meal to make for dinner that had ingredients I already had. Pinterest to the rescue. I found a cabbage roll casserole recipe. As I was making it, I wasn’t sure I would like it. But I knew The Hardworking Husband would. And that’s all that matters, right? I ended up loving it. And of course, I had to change it up a little. And it has become deconstructed cabbage roll casserole.
Earlier this week, I wrote about How to Grow Cabbage. This recipe is perfect for heads of cabbage straight out of the garden. I had to buy my heads of cabbage for now because my cabbage heads are just beginning to form. But you better believe that I will be making this once my cabbages are ready.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, I used 1 pint jar of canned diced tomatoes
- 1 in bag of boil a bag rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 6 cups cabbage roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Brown ground beef with diced onions.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add tomatoes, rice and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to medium, add cabbage and cover. Cook for 20 minutes until cabbage is tender, stirring midway.
- If adding cheese, remove lid sprinkle cheese over the top and replace lid. Cook until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
Don’t forget to pin!