I’ve been trying to change out a lot of the things I use regularly with products I can make myself. One that I’ve been avoiding for quite some time is DIY deodorant.
Why have I been avoiding it? Well this may be too much information for you, but once I got pregnant the first time, I started sweating like crazy. And that sweating hasn’t gone away. So honestly, I knew that my deodorant worked, and I didn’t really want to take a chance with a DIY deodorant, and risk stinking!
Currently, there is no definitive research that links the aluminum in antipersperants with breast cancer. However, the theory has been suggested for quite some time. And last year I had to have a biopsy done on a lump in my breast, and it made me rethink the deodorant thing. I mean, if there’s a chance it’s contributing to breast cancer, wouldn’t I want to avoid it? My answer is yes (I know that not everyone agrees). And I would also rather be stinky than risk cancer- or having to have another biopsy. So I started looking at “natural” deodorants.
I was really bummed when I looked at the supposed natural deodorants. Most of them contain aluminum as well, plus they are ridiculously priced. So when my friend Stacy shared this recipe for The Best Deodorant/Antiperspirant You’ll Ever Use from Easy Peasy Organic, I was intrigued. When she said she’s been using it for several years, and “It’s awesome!” I figured I’d go ahead and give it a try.
My favorite things about this DIY deodorant recipe:
- It’s really easy to make- like finished in 5 minutes kind of easy
- I had nearly all the ingredients on hand
- All of the ingredients are usable in other areas of my life, so I’m not buying them especially for making deodorant
- It’s cheap- so if you don’t like it, you’re not out a bunch of money.
The only thing I didn’t like about this recipe is that it’s a little uncomfortable at first, since you’re putting on a cream and then following it with a powder. It’s a little bit messy to put on. But it’s not that big of a deal.
So here’s what you need to make DIY Deodorant:
- 2 small containers. The smaller one needs to hold approximately 1/4 cup. The larger container needs to hold about 1 cup.
- A brush for application. A makeup brush works great.
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 capsules of Vitamin E
- 10 drops of Tea Tree (or melaleuca) Essential Oil (divided- half for the cream and half for the powder)
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 2 dried Bay Leaves (for fragrance)
Find the directions at Easy Peasy Organic.
Would you or have you ever tried making your own deodorant? Why/ why not?
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our Link Parties.
Linking up at