We have a giveaway going on. Don’t miss it after the recipe card.
Gingerbread Cake with Chai Buttercream is a cake with the delicious flavor of molasses and ginger that is topped with the decadent flavor of a chai latte.
When we hear gingerbread we think of gingerbread men or gingerbread houses. Rarely do we think of cake or loaves of bread.
The term “gingerbread” simply means preserved ginger. Gingerbread was not used when referring to desserts. It wasn’t until the 15th century that desserts with ginger and molasses were called gingerbread.
The first gingerbread recipes were hard cookies. Recipes for these cookies were developed during the Middle Ages. The idea of decorating the cookies with gold leaf and in the shape of kings and queens is attributed to Queen Elizabeth I (1533 – 1603).
Gingerbread houses were introduced in Germany in the 16th century. They were introduced around the same time as the story Hansel and Gretel. No one is sure if the story inspired the houses or if the gingerbread houses inspired the book.
I haven’t found any information of when or where gingerbread cake or bread originated, however the first American cookbook contained 3 gingerbread recipes. One of those recipes was for a soft gingerbread loaf.
If you are wanting these same flavors but in cookie form, we’ve got you covered. Gingerbread Men with Chai Buttercream are just as delicious and fun to make.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- Chai Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 3 9" cake pans with cooking spray and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Whisk together thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together water, molasses, and oil. Whisk together. (You'll need to whisk this again just before you add it.) Set aside.
- In your mixer bowl, cream butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and blend until fluffy. It will be lighter in color.
- Add eggs one at a time. Mix together until yolks are blended.
- Add flour mixture and wet mixture alternating. Begin with flour and end with flour.
- Pour even amounts into the cake pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Frost with Chai Buttercream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
We are so excited that one lucky winner will receive a $175 Amazon Gift Card – just in time for the holidays!
Brought to you by:
- An Affair From the Heart
- As For Me and My Homestead
- Bowl Me Over
- Coffee With Us 3
- Ever After in the Woods
- Everyday Eileen
- Intelligent Domestications
- Juggling Act Mama
- Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lazy Budget Chef
- Life Currents
- Mandatory Mooch
- Simple and Savory
- Simply Blended Smoothies
- Terri Steffes
- Walking on Sunshine Recipes
$175 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway
Official Rules and Conditions: One winner will receive a $175 Amazon Gift Card. Open to US residents 18+. One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 12/16/2019. Enter using the widget below. The prize will be delivered electronically.
Don’t forget to pin!