Homemade Velveeta has all the wonderful meltiness and none of the nasty chemicals. It’s a great substitute for the store bought stuff.
I have been eliminating chemicals from our house for quite a few years. Velveeta is one that is hard. You want the easy of it melting but it full of yucky chemicals. This homemade version melts perfectly!
What is in store bought Velveeta?
What is in homemade Velveeta?
Colby Jack cheese, whole milk, nonfat powdered milk, salt, gelatin, water.
Because there are no preservatives in the homemade version, it doesn’t not have the same shelf life. It needs to be stored in the refrigerator and keeps for about 2-3 weeks.
- 1 1/2 tsp gelatin
- 1 Tbsp water
- 12 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp nonfat powdered milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole milk
- Line a mini loaf pan with plastic wrap and set aside or use silicone mini loaf pan. You'll need 2.
- In a small bowl, mix gelatin and water together and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, heat milk on medium heat until it is almost boiling.
- Meanwhile in a food processor, add cheese, powdered milk, salt, & cream of tartar. Pulse a couple times to combine.
- When milk is heated, pour into something to make pouring into food processor easier. Turn on food processor and pour milk in through feed tube.
- Then add the hardened gelatin to the mixture. Allow processor to run until mixture is smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape sides.
- Once the mixture is smooth, put it into the mini loaf pan. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!