Whenever whole chickens are on sale, I buy several. They are a great way to have chicken on hand for quick meals. If I don’t cook the chickens right away, I throw them in the freezer. I had several in the freezer and needed to do something with them. But it is summer and who wants to heat up their house while boiling or roasting a chicken.
I started looking into roasting a chicken on the grill. Lots of the recipes had you butterfly the chicken, and I didn’t want to do that. It is possible to grill a whole chicken without butterflying it or cutting it up without drying the meat out. The whole chicken turned out beautiful and delicious and didn’t take very long.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp seasoning of your choice, season salt or something similar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- kitchen twine
- Preheat grill by turning it on high for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix oil, seasoning, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper together.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken. (Chicken needs to be thawed if previously frozen.)
- Brush chicken with oil mixture. Lift skin over the breast and rub oil mixture under the skin onto the breast meat.
- Tie legs together with kitchen twine and tuck wings under.
- Clean grill grates as needed. If your grill has 3 heating elements, turn the center one off and the outside two to medium. If you have 4 heating elements, turn the center two off and the outside two to medium.
- Place the chicken breast side up in the center of the grill. You want medium indirect heat. Roast for 1 - 1.5 hours. You want the breast meat to be 160 degrees and the leg meat to be 170 degrees.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut and enjoy.
- Camp Chef SmokePro LUX 36 Wood Pellet Grill Smoker, Bronze
- eBoot Cotton Kitchen Twine, Cooking String, Bakers Twines for Arts Crafts and Gift Wrapping, 328 Feet (Red)
- Top Rated Bellemain Stainless Steel Non-Slip Mixing Bowls with Lids, 4 Piece Set Includes 1 Qt, 1.5 Qt, 3 Qt. & 5 Qt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!