Grilled Caprese Sandwich is a mash up of caprese salad and a grilled cheese sandwich. This sandwich has amazing flavor.
I have been making mozzarella grilled cheese sandwiches in lieu of garlic bread to go with our spaghetti. I wanted to switch things up. But still wanted something that would go great with spaghetti. I came across that idea today. Grilled Caprese Sandwich. It’s just a little twist on the mozzarella sandwich.
If you aren’t familiar with Caprese Salad, you are missing out! It is a delicious salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. The “dressing” is balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil. For this sandwich, I left the dressing off. It just made it soggy. The basil gave it enough amazing flavor.
All of this sandwich can be homemade or home grown. I haven’t shared with you yet how to grown tomatoes, but I will soon. But you can read all about growing basil which will make it more affordable. You can also make your own mozzarella and bread. I like to make both of these myself. This way I know what is in my food.
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tsp chopped basil
- Heat a griddle pan on medium heat.
- Cut enough to cover each slice of bread.
- Cut thin slices of tomatoes, enough to cover one slice of bread.
- Spread butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay one slice of bread on the other butter side in. (This prevents getting butter on the counter.)
- Place 1/2 the mozzarella on the top slice of bread. Place tomato on top of mozzarella and then sprinkle chopped basil over tomato. Place remaining mozzarella on top.
- Lift the top slice of bread off the bottom slice and place on pan. Cook until golden brown, flip, cook until golden brown.
- Slice & enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tools to make these sandwiches:
Don’t forget to pin!