Ham and Potato Soup is a delicious hearty soup that is Whole30 compliant and made in the instant pot. It is one you will want even when you aren’t doing Whole30.
Like many of you, I was given an instant pot for Christmas. I have been determined to learn to use it. It has taken a few times and a few times of having to cook it a little longer. But I am starting to get the hang of it. My favorite things to cook in it so far are potatoes and sweet potatoes for mashed potatoes and chicken for shredding to add to other recipes. I am still working on the perfect amount of time for roasts.
In January, The Hardworking Husband and I did Whole30. I found this recipe while planning for it. As usual, I couldn’t leave it as is, partly because I didn’t have all the ingredients.
The recipe calls for canned coconut milk. Two things about this. First, I like to blend it with a blender first and then add it to the recipe. Secondly, if you are thinking you don’t like the taste of coconut milk, you cannot taste it. It gives the soup some creaminess.
Sometimes it’s hard to find ham that is Whole30 compliant because a lot of ham is cured with sugar. I found one at my local grocery store that wasn’t sure with sugar.
While this recipe is Whole30 compliant, it is delicious and we will eat it even when we aren’t doing Whole30. So good!
- 3 medium russet potatoes, about 8 cups diced potatoes
- 4 stalks celery, rough chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb ham, rough chopped
- 1 can coconut milk, blended
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Add all ingredients to instant pot.
- Set for 10 minutes. It will take 20 - 30 minutes to pressurize. So total cooking time will be 30 - 40 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. Depending on how big your instant pot is you may need to do this a little at a time. I have an 8qt and have no issue. But if yours is smaller, it may spew some of the soup. So you'll just need to release a little at a time.
- You can serve with green onions and/or bacon. Enjoy.
Don’t forget to pin!