The Hardworking Husband’s Chili is a little spicy and a tiny bit sweet. It is a great balance of flavor and perfect for those chili evenings of the winter.
After the Hardworking Husband and I got married, he made me chili. Knowing that I don’t like things spicy, he toned it down for me. It was still a little too hot for me. He has made it a few times more times and tones it down a little more each time. I fix the heat by putting sour cream in it. But other than being spicy this chili is really good. And of course, I appreciate the HH cooking for me.
Some people say that chili with beans isn’t really chili. But most of the chili I’ve has had beans. So what makes chili chili? Chili is named for the chili pepper. So it needs to include some kind of chili pepper. It could be an actual pepper, hot sauce or chili pepper.
The technical name of it is chili con carne (translated chili with meat). So it needs meat as well, usually beef. However there are lots of variations of chili: White Chili, Chili Verde, and vegetarian chili to name a few.
What do you eat with chili?
I asked on my Facebook page what my friends liked to put on their chili. They had so many different this. The short list is the follow: cheese, onions, Fritos, sour cream, jalapenos, white vinegar, green olives, bacon, cornbread, tortilla chips, and so much more!
What do you like with yours?
- 1 lb ground beef or venison
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
- 2 1/2 tsp adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
- 1 season pack from Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit*
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomato
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 - 27 oz can Bush's Pinto Chili Beans in Mild Sauce
- 1 - 12 oz lager beer
- 1/4 cup honey
- Brown sausage and ground beef. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a separate pan.
- Chop chipotle pepper using pizza cutter.
- Once meat is cooked, add onion & garlic, pepper, adobo sauce, and season pack. Stir to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
- Cover and allow to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and/or chopped bell pepper.
*Only use the seasoning pack from the Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!