After the Hardworking Husband and I got married, he made me chili. Knowing that I don’t like things spicy, he toned it down for me. It was still a little too hot for me. He has made it a few times more times and tones it down a little more each time. I fix the heat by putting sour cream in it. But other than being spicy this chili is really good. And of course, I appreciate the HH cooking for me.
If you are from Texas, this is not chili. I’m not sure what you call this, but it isn’t chili to you. For everyone else, it is chili. And warm, comfort food chili it is!
The Hardworking Husband’s Chili
Brown the sausage and ground beef. We use ground venison when we have it, which we did this time. Drain if needed.
Dice onions and sauté with minced garlic in olive oil.
Using a pizza cutter, chop chipotle pepper. If you like it hot, you can add more than one.
Once sausage and ground beef are cooked, add onions & garlic, chopped pepper, adobo sauce, & seasoning pack. Stir. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, and/or chopped bell peppers. I add sour cream so it’s not too hot for me.
- 1 lb ground beef or venison
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 in chipotle pepper adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
- 2 1/2 tsp adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
- season pack from Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit*
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomato
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 - 27 oz can Bush's chili beans
- 1/4 cup honey
- Brown sausage and ground beef. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a separate pan.
- Chop chipotle pepper using pizza cutter.
- Once meat is cook, add onion & garlic, pepper, adobo sauce, and season pack. Stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
- Cover and allow to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and/or chopped bell pepper.
*Only use the seasoning pack from the Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for more weeknight dinners? Check out some of our favorites!
Follow us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3
Check out our link parties here.
Linking up at Weekend Potluck. and