Hobo Packs are an easy way to cook a meal while camping. They are versatile in ingredients and can be cooked on a fire or a grill.
A long time ago, I learned to make Hobo Packs, but haven’t made them again until recently. The Hardworking Husband loves them and I love them because they are quick and easy.
In college, a group of girls would go camping for Mother’s Day weekend. Some years we froze and other years the weather was great. We had quite the adventure. One year it rained so hard before we went that the river was raging and very dangerous. One year (maybe the same year), some of us got sick. We always had a blast. But we always came home smelling of campfire. By the time we were home, that campfire smell reeked. We would pile all of the laundry together and do a bunch of loads. We couldn’t have that smell in our dorm rooms.
One of the meals we made was Hobo Packs. They are so easy and so versatile. They are great for camping, but they are also great for the grill. And you can put just about anything in them. I like ground beef, potatoes, onions, and carrots in mine. But I’m sure cabbage, corn, green beans, peas, chicken, broccoli, sausage, and so much more would be good in them.
- 1/3 lb ground beef
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- Olive oil
- Seasoning to taste
- If cooking a grill, preheat the grill. (Gas grill: turn on high for 15 minutes) If cooking on a fire, get it started.
- Layout a sheet of foil about 2 feet long. Crumble ground beef in the middle of the foil. Sprinkle your favorite seasoning over it. Place onions on top and mix in a little. Place potatoes and carrots around the meat. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle seasoning to taste.
- Fold the two long ends over the mixture and fold ends together. Fold sides to close.
- Place on the edge of the fire or on grill. (Gas grill: turn to low for cooking) Cook on each side for about 10 minutes.
- Cut open and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 918 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 133mg Sodium: 632mg Carbohydrates: 89g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 11g Protein: 51g
Don’t forget to pin!