My list of foods I want to learn to make has grown tremendously. The more I learn to make the more I want to learn to make. I decided to learn to make graham cracks and marshmallows this summer then make s’mores with them. When Lucy, Jamie and I had gotten together, I tried making marshmallows. It was a failure. I will try again of course. But until then, I made graham crackers. And we made s’mores with store bought marshmallows. When I make the marshmallows, I will whip up some graham crackers and actually roast those marshmallows over a fire.
Lucy brought her kids over while her and our mom went grocery shopping. While the kids played outside, I rolled out graham crackers and baked them. Lucy bought some chocolate and so we had s’mores when they got back. The graham crackers turned out beautifully. And they taste amazing! The kids had chocolate everywhere. So I guess they liked them too. Because I didn’t have a fire to roast the marshmallows over, I just stuck them under the broiler. If you plan to do that, bake the graham crackers a little less. The crackers got a little darker.
The crackers really were pretty easy to make too. Just takes a little planning because you have to chill the dough. I left my dough overnight and it worked just great.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- In a stand mixer bowl with a paddle attachment, mix together four, brown sugar, soda, and salt.
- Add butter and mix until it is the consistency of coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together honey, milk, and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry.
- Divide dough in two and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Remove half the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll dough out to 1/16" thick on parchment paper
- Place dough with the parchment paper onto baking sheet.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Bake each pan for 10 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut crackers into desired shapes while they are still hot. But do not separate crackers. Use a fork to prick top of the crackers.
- Bake crackers for another 15 - 20 minutes. Do not remove from oven.
- Turn oven off and crack the door open until heat has dissipated.
- Close oven and allow crackers to cool.
- After about 20 minutes, remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.