Instant Pot Balsamic Thyme Whole Chicken is a delicious, easy and fast way to prepare a whole chicken. Cooking in your instant pot makes dinner a breeze.
Cooking a whole chicken in an instant pot can’t be easier or faster. You could even throw it in while it’s frozen. Frozen makes it a little tougher to season it, but it can be done.
I love my instant pot. It has made winging dinner a whole lot easier. We buy meat in bulk to save money. I freeze it and thaw it when I need it. But too often, I forget to get my meat thawed. The instant pot has saved dinner more than once. I just pop the frozen meat in the instant pot and viola it’s cooked and ready to be used.
Now you can’t do that with all meat, but whole chickens or any part of a quartered chicken work well. Frozen roasts don’t work as well.
Chicken is a versatile meat. You can season them with any of your favorite seasonings. Any whole chicken recipe can be done in the instant pot. This recipe is Baslamic Thyme Whole Chicken but you could also do Lucy’s BBQ Whole Chicken.
When first using an instant pot, you’ll need to get to know yours. They are all different. Yours will take a different amount of time to cook than mine does. There are all kinds of charts of how long to cook different kinds of food, but yours may take a little longer or a little less time. So if your food doesn’t come out exactly right, make a note and add or subtract time as need for the next time around. It won’t be long before you know exactly how much time your instant pot needs.
- 1 whole chicken (4-6 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 small onion, cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup water
- Remove giblets from chicken.
- Pat chicken dry.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme & salt together.
- Place garlic & onion in chicken cavity.
- Lift skin over chicken breasts.
- Rub olive oil mixture on breasts under skin.
- Rub remaining olive oil mixture all over the chicken.
- Place rack in bottom of instant pot along with water.
- Place chicken on rack.
- Set instant pot for 30 minutes for 5 lb chicken.
- Once finished let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes and then quick release.
- Allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 27g
Don’t forget to pin!