I’ve eaten Shepherd’s Pie before, but I had never made it before. So of course, I looked up a recipe and followed it exactly. Haha, that’s not what I did at all. I seem to have a problem following recipes, I always substitute something or use more or less of something and make it how I think my family will like it best. In this case, I added in some Italian flavors to make this Italian Style Shepherd’s Pie.
This recipe is based off of Kerry’s Shepherd’s Pie that she included in her Hamburger Vegetable Soup recipe post. But I changed it up a little bit to include more of an Italian flavor. I loved the way this turned out and so did my family. The only complaint anyone had was there was a little bit too much mashed potatoes on top, so I adjusted that in the recipe but you can always add a little bit more or less depending on your family’s tastes.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 can can Italian Style Tomatoes
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can green beans drained
- 1 can great northern beans
- 6 servings mashed potatoes prepared I used garlic mashed potatoes
- Brown hamburger with onion and garlic.
- Drain and return to pan. Add all remaining ingredients except for mashed potatoes.
- Cook for about 5 minutes then pour into large casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until it bubbles at the sides and the potatoes are hot.
This recipe feeds quite a lot of people. My family of 6 ate it and we had quite a bit of leftovers, so you will need to adjust if you have a small family. But of course, leftovers aren’t always a bad thing and I enjoyed this for lunch a couple times.
Are you a fan of Shepherd’s Pie? Have you made it before?
Looking for more weeknight dinners?
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our link parties.