Key Lime Ricotta Cookies are sweet and sour. The perfect cookie to see summer in!
I love to make lasagna. And although my recipe for The Easiest Lasagna Ever can be made with either ricotta or cottage cheese, it really does taste better with ricotta. Our local grocery store only carries one size of whole milk ricotta, and that’s 30 ounces. So since I only need half of it to make lasagna, I’m always wondering what to do with the other half.
I was looking through Pinterest at ricotta pancake recipes, when I saw several lemon ricotta cookie recipes. But of course I didn’t have any lemons on hand, so I decided to try my hand at Key Lime Ricotta Cookies instead.
Having never had ricotta cookies at all, I wasn’t sure what to expect. They turned out with a similar taste to sugar cookies, but a lighter, less dense texture. They’re quite good. The cookies alone aren’t very sweet, but the key lime glaze really adds a pop of sweet and sour to them!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, (1 stick)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest from 1 lime,, divided
For the Glaze
- Reserved lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Put butter and sugar a large bowl or mixer, and beat for about 3 minutes, until mixture is fluffy and light. Add one egg and beat until well mixed. Repeat with second egg.
- Beat in lime juice, ricotta, vanilla and lime zest. Then stir in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes, until cookie is set and edges are golden.
- While cookies cool, make the glaze.
- In a small bowl, stir together glaze ingredients and spoon approximately 1/2 tsp of glaze over each cookie.
- Allow to sit until glaze hardens.
Have you ever had ricotta cookies? If so, what is your favorite flavor?
Our Favorite Cookies
Don’t forget to pin!