Knock-Off Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad is a delicious Mexican salad with sweet & slightly spicy pulled pork.
The Hardworking Husband and I love going to Cafe Rio. My favorite to get there is the Sweet Pork Salad. I love that their ingredients are fresh and made in front of me. But my budget just does not allow me to eat there as much as I would like. So I decided I would figure out how to make my own salad.
There are several things that go into this salad that have to be made as well, but for simplicity sake I only figured out the pork and used store bought beans and rice. I may come back later and figure out the other ingredients.
This recipe uses the romaine lettuce that I showed you how to grow earlier in the week. This helps keep the recipe fresh. I love being able to go out and harvest some of the ingredients for my meals from my backyard.
- 3 lbs pork shoulder roast
- 16 oz coke divided, not diet
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can green chilis 4oz
- 1 oz can red enchilada sauce 10
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Romaine lettuce chopped
- Tomato chopped
- Shredded cheese
- Black or pinto beans
- Spanish rice
- Ranch dressing
- Place pork shoulder in slow cooker. Pour 8 oz coke and water into the slow cooker with pork. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on roast. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker. Discard juice from slow cooker. Shred the roast and put back in slow cooker.
- In a blender, mix together remaining coke, chilis, enchilada sauce, and brown sugar. Pour mixture over shredded pork. Cook at least another 2 hours.
- On a tortilla, layer black beans, rice, sweet pork, romaine, tomato, shredded cheese, ranch dressing, guacamole.
Other Romaine Lettuce Salads:
Don’t forget to pin!