Leek, Sweet Potato and Chicken Chowder is a delicious comfort food. This chowder has the rich flavor of sweet potatoes and leeks.
One of my favorite things to eat is soup. I love when the weather gets cooler so I can have soup. I think I could eat it every day. The Hardworking Husband does not like having soup more than once a week. Some times I try to convince him that chowder and soup are not the same thing. It usually doesn’t go over well. But he does like Leek, Sweet Potato & Chicken Chowder. So if I make it on a Tuesday, I can usually get away with another soup on Saturday.
Until I was married, I thought I didn’t like sweet potatoes. Apparently I was eating them wrong. I like sweet potatoes, but I don’t like adding more sugar to them. So they are perfect in this chowder.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup leeks, sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 28 oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute leeks until tender (7-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, sweet potato, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Stir in chicken and paprika.
- In a separate bowl, combine half & half and flour until flour is well mixed in. I use my immersion blender.
- Add half & half mixture to chowder. Stir to combine and cook until thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Leeks can be sandy. I recommend slicing them and then let them soak in a bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes to let the sand come out. You can stir it around some to speed up the process.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin.