Leek, Sweet Potato and Chicken Chowder is a delicious comfort food. This chowder has the rich flavor of sweet potatoes and leeks.
One of my favorite things to eat is soup. I love when the weather gets cooler so I can have soup. I think I could eat it every day. The Hardworking Husband does not like having soup more than once a week. Some times I try to convince him that chowder and soup are not the same thing. It usually doesn’t go over well. But he does like Leek, Sweet Potato & Chicken Chowder. So if I make it on a Tuesday, I can usually get away with another soup on Saturday.
Until I was married, I thought I didn’t like sweet potatoes. Apparently I was eating them wrong. I like sweet potatoes, but I don’t like adding more sugar to them. So they are perfect in this chowder.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup leeks, sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 28 oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute leeks until tender (7-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, sweet potato, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Stir in chicken and paprika.
- In a separate bowl, combine half & half and flour until flour is well mixed in. I use my immersion blender.
- Add half & half mixture to chowder. Stir to combine and cook until thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Leeks can be sandy. I recommend slicing them and then let them soak in a bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes to let the sand come out. You can stir it around some to speed up the process.
- Aicok Immersion Blender, Stick Hand Blender
- Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Stock Pot, 8-quart, Black
- Wsthof WU4183 4188-7 Wusthof Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife 7, Black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!