Psych is ending! Tonight! I’m a little sad. I love that show. I tend not to get overly attached to shows. I really enjoy them for a bit and then I get bored. But I have enjoyed Psych season after season. I have enjoyed Shawn and Gus and their silliness all while solving crime. Seriously, it’s a fun show and I’m glad I will be able to catch reruns of the show!
I knew I wanted to make something from the show for the series final. But I just couldn’t decide what to make. There has been a lot of food eaten or talked about over the years on this show. Like the Jerk Chicken (Apology) Nachos or Fries Quatro Quesos Dos Fritos (think potatoes injected with cheese goodness) that my blogging buddy Nicole over at 365-ish Days of Pinterest made. But I had tacos on the brain, majorly and all thanks to a certain episode of Psych, I had just seen. So it seemed fitting to make this sauce.
If you’re not a fan of Psych, don’t worry the sauce is great either way! This sauce shows up in the “Shawn and Gus Truck Things Up” episode from this season. That episode starts with the murder of the owner of the Macho Taco food truck, which happens to be Shawn and Gus’ favorite. Gus has a little meltdown as he watches the last of the taco sauce being brought out of the truck. Then he and Shawn remember the good times they had with the tacos (if you have no idea what I’m talking about you really should check out the gif of the memory montage).
Now on to the actual sauce. Now of course, there is no actual recipe for this sauce. All I had to go on was the few seconds of screen time the sauce had in which I noticed the sauce seemed chunky and how amazing Shawn and Gus said it was. The episode also talked about the secret ingredient! So I decided my secret ingredient would be roasted tomatoes and went from there.
- 8-10 Tomatoes sliced in half
- Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Oil or melted butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Place sliced tomatoes and garlic cloves on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil (sorry I didn't measure this).
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutest or until tomatoes begin to brown and burst.
- Put about 1/3 of the roasted tomatoes to the side, cutting them into bite sized chunks.
- Pour the rest of the pan contents (tomatoes, garlic, and any oil) into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until desired consistency. I made mine pretty smooth. Set aside
- Place some oil in a good sized skillet, preferably one with high sides.
- Saute onions and bell peppers until tender over medium heat.
- Poor sauce from blender into pan. Add cilantro and cumin and let simmer on low for a few minutes.
- Add remain tomatoes and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to your favorite tacos.
I chopped both my onions and bell peppers very finely because neither my children nor my husband really care for them. But leave them chunkier if you so desire.
Makes enough for about 12-18 tacos.
I was really pleased with how the sauce turned out. And I was actually surprised when my children ate it up. (I mean it has vegetables!!). And the roasted tomatoes were an amazing “secret ingredient!”
So obviously the best way to eat this sauce in on tacos. I made hard shell tacos with ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning (use Kerry’s homemade taco seasoning, it’s better and cheaper), topped with cheese, then the Macho Taco’s Secret Taco Sauce and lettuce on top. The tacos were so good!! I can’t wait to make some more and since I still have sauce in the fridge, I’m pretty sure that will be happening soon!
Who’s watching the Psych’s series finale tonight? What do you think is going to happen? What happens with Shawn and Juliet??
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook: