With June’s goal, I shared that I wanted to learn to make graham crackers and marshmallows so we could make s’mores with homemade ingredients. Graham crackers came out perfect. Marshmallows on the other hand didn’t work so well the first time around. I knew that Granola Girl had made marshmallows before and they turned out great. So I asked for her recipe to attempt them again. They turned out perfect. They looked so good while mixing I wanted to stick my fingers in there and try it. But for fear of my finger getting stuck in the whisk or worse, I waited till I poured them in the pan.
It’s amazing to me how two mixtures that aren’t white at all can become brilliant white when whipped to death. It didn’t take too long for the mixture become white and fluffy. I could hardly wait to cut them and make s’mores with them. I also have another snack that I love making with marshmallows. They are called Marguerites and use the homemade peanut butter. I will share those in a few weeks. They are a twist on s’mores.
- 3 packets gelatin unflavored
- 3/4 cup cold water divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Line 9x9 pan with plastic wrap lightly greased. Set aside. In stand mixer bowl, pour 1/2 cup cold water. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Set aside. Allow gelatin to set up for 10 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix together sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute. Pour syrup into bowl with gelatin add salt. Beat with whisk attachment for 12 minutes. Mixture will become white and fluffy right away. At the end of the 12 minutes, mix in vanilla. (I recommend using clear vanilla to keep the brilliant white color.) Pour marshmallow fluff into pan and cover with another piece of plastic wrap that is lightly greased. Allow to cool for several hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Once marshmallows have cooled, cut using kitchen shears. Roll each marshmallow in the sugar mixture to coat each side. Store in an airtight container.
I accidentally left the vanilla out and they still tasted amazing.
Check out other recipes I’ve made as part of my
Check out our link parties.
Did you forget to pin it?