This Mocha Poke Cake Recipe combines the rich flavor of coffee with the sweetness of chocolate!
I’ve been realizing lately that for a blog with coffee in our name, we don’t have many coffee recipes. So I figured I needed to set to work changing that! At the same time, I’ve had poke cakes on my mind after looking at Kerry’s Pina Colada Poke Cake lately, so I decided to make a Mocha Poke Cake and kill two birds with one stone.
This Mocha Poke Cake is chocolatey coffee goodness. It’s easy to make, and a nice change from a regular chocolate cake.
If you’ve never heard of poke cakes before, a poke cake is just how it sounds. You bake a cake, poke holes in it (with the end of a wooden spoon or something similar), and pour something over it.
For this Mocha Poke Cake, I poured coffee and chocolate pudding over it, and then topped it with whipped cream. Yum!
For the cake
- 1 box Chocolate Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
For the coffee
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee OR
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee crystals and 1/2 cup water to brew
For the pudding
- 3.4 ounce small box chocolate pudding
- 2 cups milk
For the topping
- 1 small container of whipped topping
- Garnish with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips
- Grease 13x9 pan.
- Make cake as directed on box.
- During the last 5 minutes of the cake baking, brew the coffee and make the pudding according to the directions on the box.
- Let cake cool 5 minutes.
- Poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Pour half (1/4 cup) of the coffee over the cake.
- Stir the other half of the coffee into the pudding (which should now be thickened). Spoon pudding mix over the cake (making sure plenty gets into the holes you poked).
- Spread the whipped topping over the top of the cake, and garnish as desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
How do you like to drink your coffee?
Don’t forget to pin!