Mocha Tres Leches Cake is a delicious super moist cake with wonderfully sweet coffee flavor. The chocolate and coffee blend well together to give you an amazing cake.
Despite our blog having coffee in the name, we don’t have a lot of recipes that have coffee in them. We are working to change that. Jamie has a Coffee Dry Rub coming up. We also have Cold Brew Coffee Latte Cake, Cold Brew Coffee, Chocolate Coffee Depression Cake, Coffee Coconut Oil Brown Sugar Scrub, Mocha Poke Cake, Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins, Mocha Pot de Creme, Mocha Marshmallows, and Mocha Pops.
Well I guess we have been made some progress toward getting more recipes with coffee in them. But in reality it’s less that 2% of our posts. So let’s add one more.
What does Tres Leches mean?
It’s Spanish and it’s translated 3 milks. There are 3 kinds of milk in this cake. Evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy whipping cream.
Is Tres Leches Cake better the next day?
Yes, this cake should be made the day before. I needs time to soak up and incorporate the milk mixture that is poured over the cake.
Does Tres Leches Cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, because of the milks and the cream cheese in the topping, it does need to be refrigerated.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 4 tsp baking powder (I know that seems like a lot)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp instant espresso coffee
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place egg whites in mixer bowl, and set egg yolks aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat milk on medium heat until bubbling on the edges. Remove from heat and add cocoa powders. Mix until combined. It will be thick. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add salt to egg whites. Using whisk attachment, turn mixer on to medium until the egg white are foamy. Turn up to medium high. Whip until you have soft peaks.
- Slowly add sugar and whip until you have stiff peaks.
- Add egg yolks and whip until combined.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture and 1/3 cocoa mixture alternating. Whip until combined.
- Add vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Pour into ungreased 9 x 13 pan. (Yes I know. It doesn't seem right, but it will be fine, I promise.)
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely. About 1 hour.
- Using a fork, puncture cake all over.
- Once cake has cooled, combine instant espresso coffee and evaporated milk together. Heat on medium heat until steaming.
- Remove from heat. Add sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Mix until well combined.
- Pour over cake.
- Using mixer, whip cream cheese using whisk attachment until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and mix slowly at first. Turn up to medium and mix until well blended.
- Add heavy whipping cream. Whip until you have soft peaks.
- Spread on cake.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 3 hours. Overnight is better.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 8g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!