One of our favorite meals around here is Big Steak Salad. My favorite part is the marinade and salad dressing. The Hardworking Husband’s favorite is the onion straws. Once again these are very healthy, but I feel better about them because we aren’t eating very many. Plus I’m putting them on top of a salad.
Onion straws are similar to onion rings in that they are onions and they are deep fried. Onion rings are dipped in a batter. Onion straws are dredged in a flour mixture and they are also much thinner than onion rings.
- 1 large onion, I use a sweet onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- Oil for frying
- Start this one hour before you want to begin frying the onion. Slice onion as thin as you can. Place onion in a bowl and pour buttermilk over the top. Allow to soak in buttermilk for 1 hour.
- After the onions have soaked, heat oil to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Take onion slices and dredge in flour mixture. Place a few at a time in oil to fry.
- Once golden brown, remove and place on paper towels to drain. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin!