Oven Roasted Whole Chicken is a delicious yet easy way to cook a whole chicken. Whole chickens are a great way to stretch your budget.
Chicken is such a versatile meat. You can use it in so many ways. You can substitute chicken for beef in lots of recipes. My Hamburger Vegetable Soup could have shredded chicken instead of beef. Shredded Chicken can be used for tacos instead of ground beef. Chili can be made with chicken as well.
Whole chickens are often on sale at our grocery store. They usually are $5 or less. Sometimes I can get one for less than $4. That’s a great way to stretch the budget. I will normally buy a few and freeze them or cook them and then freeze them.
Oven Roasted Whole Chicken is very simple to make. With only 7 ingredients, the prep for the chicken is super easy. Pop it in the oven and then you just wait.
Whole chickens can be cut up and eaten by itself or you can shred or cube it and mix it into other dishes. Jamie’s Quick Mexican Chicken Soup is one of those recipes that you could throw shredded chicken in.
Freezing whole chickens after they are cooked is a great way to make dinner faster and easier. Once the chicken is cooked, allow it to cool. Then cut it up and freeze it. I got a great deal on a FoodSaver back when I was couponing. It makes keeping your chicken fresh and free from freezer burn.
- 1 whole chicken (4 - 6lbs)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 small onion, cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Remove giblets and neck from chicken.
- Pat chicken dry
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, sage, & thyme, salt.
- Place peeled garlic cloves & onion in cavity of chicken
- Pull skin up on chicken breasts.
- Rub olive oil mixture under skin onto breasts.
- Rub remaining olive oil mixture all over chicken.
- Place on sheet pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Or until breast meat is 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g
Don’t forget to pin!