Peppermint Twists are a yummy cookie that combines the flavors of chocolate and peppermint.
However, since there are 3 of us, in 2 different states one of us needed to do the actual cookie baking and sending. So I volunteered. Hey, then I get to do the cookie receiving and eating as well! (I think I was the smart one, on this one!) Initially I thought of making candy cane cookies, but I was afraid they would break in shipment, so I decided to go with Peppermint Twists instead.
These are a pretty simple cookie, and the combination of peppermint and chocolate is always yummy. My only advice is this: when it says refrigerate for 30 minutes, it means refrigerate for 30 minutes, not overnight. My chocolate dough got a bit crumbly, since things came up and I didn’t get back to the cookies until the next day.
- 1 cup butter,, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red or green food coloring
- 1/2 cup mini candy canes,, crushed (about 20) - divided use
- 4 cups all-purpose flour,, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder,, divided
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate,, melted and cooled
- 1 egg white,, beaten
- 2 Candy Canes,, crushed
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt. Add eggs and peppermint extract; mix well. Remove 1 cup of butter mixture and place in a medium bowl; set aside. To remaining mixture, add red or green food coloring (until desired shade) and 1/4 cup crushed candy canes.
- Add 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder; mix well. On a large sheet of waxed paper, press dough into a large rectangle (about 1/2-inch thick), cover with a second sheet of waxed paper and chill 30 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate to reserved butter mixture; mix well. Add 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder and mix until well blended. On a large sheet of waxed paper, press dough into a large rectangle, (about 1/2-inch thick) cover with a second sheet of waxed paper and chill 30 minutes.
- Remove dough rectangles from refrigerator and roll each into larger (9x16-inch) rectangles. Brush one layer with egg white and place other layer on top. Trim long edges. Roll up lengthwise into a tight roll, resulting in a 16-inch long log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Slice into 1/2-inch slices, and bake on parchment-lined cookie sheets for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
Looking for more great cookie recipes?
‘); // ]]>
This post is part of our Christmas Desserts & Candies Series be sure to come back tomorrow and the rest of December for more Desserts & Candies! Also check out all our Christmas Posts in one place at our Homemade Christmas page.
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Don’t forget to pin!